帖子: 444
注册时间: 2019年 1月 4日 星期五 11:46 pm

大象生为天神和猴子生为天神的故事

帖子 nanadipa » 2019年 7月 21日 星期天 11:12 am

大象生为天神和猴子生为天神的故事
(节录自「大佛史第二十八章」)(中英对照)

Story of Pālileyyaka elephant
波利耶聚落大象的故事

At that time there was a certain full grown male-elephant, the leader of a herd, living still with young males, females, courting males and sucklings. Living in this manner he had to feed on the grass without the tender tips; all the branches and twigs brought down from the trees by him were eaten up by other elephants. He also had to drink muddy water. Besides, when he rose from the ford, females went past by pushing him.
在那时候那裡有一隻已经完全长大的公象,一个象群的领袖,与年轻的象,母象,求偶的公象与幼象们在一起生活。以这样的方式生活牠必须吃没有尖端部分的植物;所有牠从树上带下来的的树枝与细枝都被其他大象吃掉。牠还必须喝泥泞的水。此外,当牠从浅滩起来,母象经过会推挤到牠。

Then it occurred to him thus: "Living with such members of my herd compels me to eat the grass; the tender tips of which are gone as have been eaten earlier by others. Whatever I have brought down from the trees are devoured by them. It is the turbid water that I have to drink. Female elephants jostle my body when I come up from the water. Were it well if I would live away from the herd!" So thinking, he left the herd and happened to come to the Buddha near the huge sāla tree in the Pālileyyaka Rakkhita forest.
然后牠突然想到这样:「和迫使我吃尖端部分被吃掉的植物的群体成员一起生活。无论我从树上带下什么都被牠们吃个精光。我必须喝的是浑浊的水。当我从水裡起来的时候母象推挤到我的身体。我若是离群索居该有多好!」这样想著,牠离开了 [14]象群而且碰巧遇到了佛陀在巨大的婆罗双树于波利耶聚落守护森林中。

(Herein Pālileyyaka was originally the name of the village. The original name of the forest was Rakkhita. Since the Rakkhita forest was near the village of Pālileyyaka, it was also called Pālileyyaka, by "way of its nearness (samīpūpacāra)". The elephant that had come to that forest was also referred to as Pālileyyaka elephant-king.)
(在此波利耶是这个聚落原本的名字。这座森林原本的名字是守护。因为守护森林在波利耶聚落附近,它也被叫做波利耶,以它的邻近(samīpūpacāra)而得名」。那隻来到森林的大象也被称为波利耶大象王。」

Service rendered by Pālileyyaka Elephant to the Buddha
波利耶大象对佛陀的供养

When the elephant, being sick of living with the herd and entering the forest he saw the Buddha seated at the foot of the sāla tree; on seeing him he felt calm like a man who has his grief allayed by the water from a thousand pots; with devotion in his heart, he was attached to the Buddha and stood near him. From that time onwards, as his daily routine, he swept the ground around the Bhaddasāla tree and the Buddha's dwelling place with a twig so that the ground might be cleared of grass and plants; he brought water to the Buddha for washing the face; he fetched water for his bathing; he offered a small twig to be used as a tooth-cleaner; he brought sweet, delicious fruit of different sizes and offered them to the Buddha, who took them for food.
当这隻大象厌烦于群体的生活而后进入了森林,牠看见了佛陀坐在婆罗双树的树下;在看见了佛陀的时候牠觉得自己像一个悲伤为大水缓和的人;带著牠心中的虔诚,他归向了佛陀并站在他的身旁。从那天起,如同牠的日常行程,他清扫贤善婆罗双树周围的土地以及用细树枝打扫佛陀的住所所以地上没有杂草;牠带水给佛陀洗脸;牠盛接水给佛陀洗澡;他供给一条细树枝以用作牙刷;牠带来各种大小的香甜可口的水果以作为供养,佛陀接受而当作食物。

(With his trunk the elephant brought firewood. By rubbing the fire sticks with one another he produced fire, into which he put stones to bake them; when the stones became hot, he rolled them down into a stone basin by means of a stick; then he tried to ascertain whether the water was hot enough or not; if he knew it was, he approached the Buddha and stood near him. Perceiving that "the elephant wanted me to bathe", the Buddha went to the stone basin and bathed. In the same way did the elephant also keep drinking water. (What should be taken as remarkable from this is that the Buddha drank boiled water that had been cooled.) (All this is an extract from the Vinaya Mahāvagga Aṭṭhakathā and the Sāratthadīpanī Ṭīkā.)
(大象用他的长鼻子运来木柴。牠藉著摩擦木柴来生火,放入石头加热;当石头变热,牠用一根木杖来滚动它们进入一个石盆;然后牠探查水是否已经够热;如果牠知道够热了,牠就靠近佛陀并站在他身旁。觉察到「大象希望我去沐浴」,佛陀就前往石盆并沐浴。大象用同样的方法保存饮用的水。(应该被特别注意的是佛陀饮用的是已经被冷却过的开水)
[15] (这些全部都是摘录于律藏犍度部义注与Sāratthadīpanī 注解《注书》的《疏钞》。

(The following is the narrative from the Kosambaka Story of the Dhammapada Commentary, Volume One.)
(下面的是叙事体的法句经注释的憍赏弥的故事,第一卷。)

When the Buddha entered the village for alms-food, Pālileyyaka elephant carried the Buddha's bowl and robe on his head and went along with him. When the Buddha reached the edge of the village, he said to the elephant: "Pālileyyaka, it is not fit for you to follow me beyond this point. Get me my bowl and robe!"; thus he let the elephant put down his requisites from the head, and, carrying them by himself, he moved into the village.
当佛陀为了食物的供养进入村庄,波利耶大象带著佛陀的钵与僧袍在牠的头上然后跟著佛陀一起走。当佛陀抵达村庄的边缘,他向大象说:「波利耶,在这裡你不适合再跟我往前走了。把我的钵与僧袍给我吧!;于是他让大象从头上放下他的必需物品,以及,自己带著它们,他走入村庄。

The elephant stayed only at that very spot till the Buddha's return and when the latter came back, he greeted him and in the previous manner he took the bowl and robe. On arriving home in the forest dwelling he placed them in their proper place; and waiting on the Master, he fanned him with a twig. When night fell, intending, "I will give protection to the Buddha", he held a big stick with his trunk and roamed in the forest till dawn to ward off any danger from lions, tigers and leopards.
大象停留在那个特定地点直到佛陀回来而且过一会儿回来的时候,牠跟佛陀打招呼以及以原来的方式牠带上钵与僧袍。抵达森林中的住所时牠将它们放置在适当的位置;然后等待大师,牠用一株小树枝为佛陀搧风。当夜晚降临,他预想著,「我要保护佛陀」,牠用牠的象鼻抓著一根大木棍然后漫游在森林中直到黎明以避免任何由狮子,老虎与豹带来的危险。

N.B. From that time onwards the huge forest came to be known as Pālileyyaka Rakkhita Forest, for it was guarded by Pālileyyaka elephant.
注意从那时开始这座大森林为人所熟知是波利耶守护森林,以其为波利耶大象守护而得名。

He performed in like manner all his duties beginning with offering of the water for the Buddha to wash the face at day-break.
牠以如此的方式进行就像牠的责任开始于供给水给佛陀洗脸在一天的开始。

In this way the Buddha spent the tenth vassa-period in the Pālileyyaka forest receiving service rendered by Pālileyyaka elephant.
在波利耶森林接受波利耶大象提供的供养以这样的方式佛陀度过第十个雨安居期。[16]

Things going on in the city of Kosambī
故事在憍赏弥城继续地进行

While the Buddha was thus spending the vassa in the Pālileyyaka forest, the wealthy Ghosaka and other lay devotees and donors, residents of Kosambī, went to the Ghositārāma monastery and not seeing the Buddha they inquired, "Venerable sirs, where is the Master staying?" To this the monks gave a sad answer saying, "Donors, the Master has gone to the Pālileyyaka forest." "Why?" asked the lay devotees. "The Master tried to restore unity to us as we were disunited," said the monks. "But (having developed hatred among ourselves) we refused to be united. (Hence the Master's departure to the Pālileyyaka forest.)" "How is it, sirs?" asked the lay people. "Despite your ordination from the Buddha's hand, and despite his attempt to restore your unity, do you remain disunited?" The monks admitted that it was true.
当佛陀如是地在波利耶森林度过雨安居,富有的瞿沙伽以及其他在家的虔诚信徒和供养者,憍赏弥的居民,行走到瞿师罗园美音精舍但没有看到佛陀于是询问道,「尊敬的先生们,大师停留在何处呢?」对此这些比库给了一个伤感的回答,大德们,大师已经去波利耶森林了。」「为什么?」在家的虔诚信徒们问道。「大师试著要恢复和谐因为我们是不和谐的,」比库们回答道。「但是(相互之间已经累积了怨恨)我们拒绝变得和谐。(于是导致大师的离开前往波利耶森林)「怎么会这样呢,先生们?」在家的人们问道。「儘管佛陀给你们的协调以及儘管他试图恢复你们的和谐,你们依然不和谐吗?」比库们承认这是真实的。

Many male and female lay devotees, citizens of Kosambī, agreed saying among themselves, "These Kosambī monks who have been ordained by the Exalted One are not united in spite of his effort to unite them. On account of them, we have long been deprived of the chance to behold the Master. We will give no seats to them, nor will we pay respects!" From that time onwards, the quarrelsome and contentious monks of Kosambī were no longer treated with respects. (much less with the four requisites).
许多男性与女性的在家虔诚信徒,憍赏弥的公民,同意他们自己的说法,「这些世尊剃度的憍赏弥比库并不团结和谐儘管世尊努力团结他们。由于他们的缘故,我们已经长久地被剥夺了得见大师的机会。我们将不会让座给他们,也不会给予尊重!」从那个时候起,喜欢争吵与爱争论的憍赏弥比库们不再被尊敬地对待。(四种必需品的供养减少了很多)

Because of the scarcity of food and starvation, the monks became emaciated day by day and came to their senses after a few days. They confessed their faults and apologized to one another with salutations; they also begged the laity's pardon, saying, "We have become united, donors, please treat us as before!" "Have you tendered apology to the Master?" asked the lay people. "No, donors, not yet." "Then you had better do so. After your so doing will we treat you, sirs, as before," replied the lay people tactfully. Since it was a vassa-period the monks did not dare to visit the Buddha and had to pass the three months of vassa miserably.
因为粮食的短缺与飢饿,比库们一天一天变得消瘦然后几天后感到觉悟了。他们承认他们的错误并且向彼此行礼表示道歉;他们也向在家的人们寻求原谅,说道,「我们已经变得团结和谐了,供养者们,请像从前那样对待我们吧!」「你们已经柔软地向大师道歉了吗?」在家的人们问道。「不,供养者们,还没有。」「那么你们最好那样做。在你们那样做之后我们会像从前那样对待你们,先生们,」在家的人们机智地回答道。由于那是一个雨安居的时期比库们不敢拜访佛陀所以必须艰苦地度过那三个月的雨安居时期。[17]

The Monkey inspired by Pālileyyaka elephant
得到波利耶大象激励的猴子

Enjoying the service of Pālileyyaka elephant (as has been said before), the Buddha stayed happily in the Pālileyyaka forest for the three vassa months.
愉快地受用著波利耶大象的供养(如之前所述),佛陀快乐地停留在波利耶森林三个雨安居之久。

At that time a monkey, seeing daily duties performed actively and energetically by Pālileyyaka elephant, became inspired and thought to himself, "I too will do some act of merit towards the Master." One day while roaming about he found a tree-branch with a honeycomb devoid of bees, broke it and brought it with the broken branch to the Buddha: he then cut a plantain leaf on which he placed the honeycomb and offered it to the Buddha. The Buddha accepted it.
在那个时间有一隻猴子,看见波利耶大象积极与精力充沛的日常工作,受到激励而想到了自己,「我也想为大师做那样的功德。」有一天当牠漫游的时候牠找到一个树干上有一个没有蜜蜂的蜂巢,打破了之后和断的树枝一起带给佛陀:于是牠摘下一片香蕉叶将蜂巢放上后供养给佛陀。佛陀接受了猴子的供养。

The monkey watched to see whether the Buddha would enjoy it or not, and he saw him remaining in his seat and just holding the honeycomb without eating it. The monkey investigated; wondering why, he took the honeycomb by its edge and turned it round only to see the bee-eggs, which he slowly and gently removed and offered it again to the Buddha. Then only did the Buddha eat it.
猴子看著佛陀想看佛陀是否会喜欢牠的供养,然后牠看见佛陀依然待在他的座位上但只是拿著蜂巢并不食用它。猴子研究了一下;好奇著为什么,牠拿著蜂巢的边缘旋转看到了一些蚂蚁的蛋,牠轻柔地慢慢地移除了蚂蚁蛋然后再次供养给佛陀。佛陀那时才食用蜂巢。

So elated was the monkey that he joyously danced moving from one tree branch to another; while so doing both the branch he was holding with his hand and that he was treading on broke off and he fell on a tree stump. With his body pierced by the stump but with his mind devoted to the Buddha, he died and was reborn in a golden mansion measuring thirty yojanas in the Deva abode of Tāvatiṁsa. He was known as Makkaṭa Deva (monkey god) having a thousand female celestials as his retinue.
猴子感到非常高兴得意然后快乐地在树木之间跳跃;当牠这么做时牠所抓住以及踩住的树枝一起断裂然后牠掉到了一个树墩上。牠的身体被树墩穿刺而破但以牠虔诚于佛的心意识,牠死亡并重生在忉利天一座三十由旬宽的金色宅第之中。祂就是大家所知道的有著一千位的天界异性随从的Makkaṭa Deva(猴神)。[18]

Pālileyyaka's thought and the Buddha's udāna
波利耶的思维与佛说无问自说经

To Pālileyyaka elephant, who had been fulfilling his daily duties to the Buddha in the aforesaid manner, it occurred thus:
对于波利耶大象来说,如之前所说的那样一直尽心地完成供养佛陀的日常工作,牠突然想到了:

"Associated with young males, females, courting males and sucklings, I could not live in peace formerly. I had to feed on the grass without their sprouts; all the branches and twigs brought down from trees were devoured by all others. It is the unclean water that I had to drink. What is more, female elephants showed no regard for me as I was rudely jostled by them when I came up from the water. Now that I have departed from them all I can live alone in peace."
「与许多大象结交关係,年轻的,雌性的,成熟的与年幼的,我可能无法像先前那样生活在和平之中。我必须处理没有嫩芽的草食;所有带下来的树枝与嫩枝都被其他大象狼吞虎嚥地吃光。我必须喝的是不乾淨的水。更有甚者,雌象并不关心注重我因为当我从水中起来时我被粗鲁地推挤。现在我已经完全离开牠们所以我可以生活在和平中了。」

Knowing by himself his own peaceful life away from his companions and knowing also the thought of Pālileyyaka elephant, the Buddha breathed forth this udāna, 'solemn utterance':
知道了他自己的离开了他的同伴的和平生活以及同时知道了波利耶大象的思维,佛陀轻轻地诵出了这部无问自说经, ”庄严的声调”:

Etaṁ nāgassa nāgena, īsādantassa hatthino;
Sameti cittaṁ cittena, yadeko ramatī vane.
这样的大象,那样的大象;
彼此结交认识,但独自生活使牠高兴快乐。

Being alone in this forest named Rakkhita, I the Buddha, the Teacher of the three classes of beings (Brahmās, Devas and human beings), take delight. In the same way this elephant called Pālileyyaka delights being alone in this very forest. Therefore the thought of Pālileyyaka elephant, who possesses the pole-like tusks is the same as mine. I who have been named Buddha-nāga, the elephant-like Buddha, am living in the forest seclusion.
独自在这座名为守护的森林中,我佛陀,三界的导师(梵天以及天神与人类),以此为乐。以同样的方式这隻名为波利耶的大象正是以独自在这座森林为乐。所以这隻有著竿子一般长的象牙的波利耶大象,思维和我一样。得名..如像,生活在这个隔绝孤立的森林。

Ānanda's entreaty to the Buddha
阿难尊者对佛陀的恳求

The life of the Buddha observing vassa in the forest of Pālileyyaka enjoying the service rendered by Pālileyyaka elephant became well known throughout the whole Jambūdīpa. The wealthy Anāthapiṇḍika, the monastery-donor Visākhā and other high-born residents of Sāvatthi sent their message to the Thera Ānanda saying, "Venerable Sir, kindly help us have an opportunity to behold the Exalted One!"
佛陀在波利耶森林中的敏锐观察的雨安居生活中享用波利耶大象的供养成为整个南赡部洲众所周知的故事。富有的给孤独长者, [19] 修院施主维沙卡居士以及其他沙瓦提的高种姓居民传达了他们的讯息给阿难长老,「尊者,好心地帮助我们有一个可以看到世尊的机会吧!」

Five hundred bhikkhus who had been staying all over the places approached Ānanda at the end of vassa and made a request to him with these words, "Friend Ānanda, it has been long since we heard last the sermon from the Master. Friend Ānanda, we beg you. We would like to have a chance again to listen to the Exalted One."
在雨安居的后期五百位曾经游历四方的比库走近了阿难陀并以这些话要求他,「朋友阿难,我们已经很久没听到大师的开示了。朋友阿难,我们恳求你。我们很想再有一次机会可以听世尊开示。」

Then Ānanda Thera went to the Pālileyyaka forest leading the five hundred monks but he thought that it would not be nice to draw near the Buddha together with such a large crowd as the Buddha had been living a solitary life for the whole vassa. He therefore left the monks somewhere else and approached the Buddha by himself.
然后阿难长老带著五百位比库前往波利耶森林但是他觉得佛陀已经远离独住了整个雨安居时期所以如此数目众多的比库前往而引起注意可能是不好的。于是他将比库们留在了某个地方然后独自前往寻找佛陀。

On seeing the Venerable Ānanda, Pālileyyaka elephant rushed to him carrying a stick in the grip of his trunk (for he mistook him for an enemy). When the Buddha saw this he stopped the elephant saying, "Go away, Pālileyyaka, go away! Do not block his way. This monk is my attendant." The elephant then dropped the stick and made a gesture to express his desire to take the Thera's bowl and robe but the Thera refused to hand them.
看到阿难尊者的时候,波利耶大象用牠的象鼻紧握著一根大木棍衝向尊者(因为牠误认尊者为敌人)。佛陀看到了这样的情景时叫住了大象,「快离开,波利耶,快离开!不要挡住他的路。这位比库是我的侍者。」大象于是丢下了木棍然后作姿表示牠愿意帮助拿长老的钵与僧袍但是长老拒绝拿给牠。

Then the elephant thought, "If this monk were conversant with the rules of an attendant he would not put his requisites on the stone slab which is the seat of the Master." The Thera Ānanda laid down his bowl and robe on the ground. (Never does a well conducted person or a man versed in duties place his belongings on the seat or the bed of the respected teacher.)
于是大象想,「如果这位比库是熟悉侍者的规则的他不会将他的随身物品放在大师的石板座位上。」长老阿难将他的钵与僧袍放在地上。(绝不会有具有良好引导之人或是熟悉职责的人将他的携带物品放在尊师的座位或床上。)

After paying obeisance to the Buddha, Ānanda Thera sat down in a blameless place. "Dear son, Ānanda, did you come alone?" asked the Buddha. When informed that the Thera came together with five hundred monks, the Buddha inquired further, "Where are those five hundred monks now?" "I came having left them somewhere else as I did not know the inclination of the Exalted One", replied the Venerable Ānanda. "Bring them in, dear Ānanda," the Buddha ordered.
顶礼佛陀之后,阿难长老坐在一个无过失的地方。「亲爱的弟子,阿难,你独自一个人来的吗?」佛陀问道。当说出阿难长老是与五百位比库一起来的时候,佛陀更进一步询问,、那五百位比库现在在哪裡?」「我前来时将他们留在某处因为我 [20] 不知道世尊的喜好如何」,阿难尊者回答道。「亲爱的阿难陀,带他们进来吧,」佛陀命令道。

As had been ordered by the Buddha, the Thera Ānanda called the five hundred monks who came and paid obeisance to the Buddha and took their appropriate seats. When the Buddha had exchanged friendly greetings with them, the monks said to the Buddha, "You, Exalted One, are gentle partly because you have become a Buddha and partly because you have come of an aristocratic family. You have done a difficult thing by living all by yourself for the whole vassa. It seems that you have no one to attend to your needs, nobody to bring you the water for washing your face and so on." "Monks," addressed the Buddha, "Pālileyyaka elephant has fulfilled all the duties due to me. In fact, one who has a good companion of such nature should live with that companion. In the absence of such a companion only a solitary life is praiseworthy. He then gave the following three verses which are preserved in the Nāga-Vagga (of the Dhammapada.)
因为佛陀的命令,长老阿难便呼叫这五百位过来向佛陀行礼然后坐在合适的座位上。当佛陀对他们回以友善的问候时,比库们对佛陀说,「你,世尊,是温和高贵的,部分是因为你已经成为佛陀,部分则是因为你来自一个贵族之家。你已经完成了整个雨安居完全独自居住这一件困难的事。你似乎不需要有人服侍你的需要,没有人带水给你洗脸以及其他的需要。」「比库们,」佛陀表示道,「波利耶大象已经完成所有有关我的工作了。事实上,一个具如此良好性格的同伴应该要跟牠一起生活才是。如果没有这样的同伴那么只有独住远离的生活才是值得讚叹的。然后佛陀给他们讲了三首保存在象品(法句经)的偈颂。

Sace labhetha nipakaṁ sahāyaṁ, Saddhiṁ caraṁ sādhuvihāri dhīraṁ.
Abhibhuyya sabbāni parissayāni, Careyya tenattamano satīmā.
No ce labhetha nipakaṁ sahāyaṁ, Saddhiṁ caraṁ sādhuvihāri dhīraṁ.
Rājāva raṭṭhaṁ vijitaṁ pahāya, Eko care mātaṅgaraññeva nāgo.
Ekassa caritaṁ seyyo, Natthi bāle sahāyatā.
Eko care na ca pāpāni kayirā, Appossukko mātaṅgaraññeva nāgo.

(The meaning of these three verses has been given in the 27th chapter of the Third Volume; see p478-479.) At the end of the verses the five hundred monks became established in the Arahattaphala.

三二八 若得同行伴───善行富智虑,能服诸艰困,欣然共彼行。
三二九 若无同行伴───善行富智虑,应如王弃国,如象独行林。
三三O 宁一人独行,不与愚为友。独行离欲恶,如象独游林。

(这三首偈颂的意义已经写入在第三册的第二十七章;可见于p478-479。)佛陀讲完这三首偈颂之后这五百位比库都证得了阿拉汉果。[21]

Then the Thera Ānanda gave the message from the wealthy Anāthapiṇḍika and the monastery donor Visākhā and all, saying "Exalted One, the five crores of noble donors, lay men and women, citizens of Sāvatthi, headed by Anāthapiṇḍika the merchant, are waiting in great hopes for your coming." "In that case, dear Ānanda, bring my bowl and robe," so saying the Buddha set out from the Pālileyyaka forest.
阿难长老传达了富有的给孤独长者和修院施主维沙卡居士以及其他所有人的讯息,「高贵的施主的五千万卢比,在家的优婆塞与优婆夷,舍卫城的居民,由商人给孤独带领,现在非常期待世尊您的到来。「既然如此,亲爱的阿难,带著我的钵与僧袍吧」,说著佛陀便从波利耶森林出发了。

At that time Pālileyyaka elephant came and lay across the path that was to be taken by the Buddha and his assembly of bhikkhus. When the bhikkhus asked, "Exalted One, what is the elephant doing?" the Buddha replied, "Monks, the elephant is desirous of offering alms food to you dear sons. In fact, this elephant has specially rendered service to me for a long time for which I am grateful. He ought not to be disappointed. Let us turn back, monks!" With these words, the Buddha turned back, leading the monks.
那时波利耶大象走过来躺在佛陀与他的僧众要使用的道路上。当比库问,「世尊,这隻大象在做什么?」佛陀回答道,「比库们,大象正想要供养食物给你们这些可爱的弟子。事实上,这隻大象已经特别地供养我一段很长的时间了所以我很欢喜。牠不应该感到失望。让我们往回走去吧,比库们!」讲完这些之后,佛陀带领著比库们,往回走去。

Pālileyyaka went into the forest and gathered various edible fruits such as Jack fruit, bananas and so on; he brought them, kept them in heaps for offering to the monks the following day. The five hundred monks could not eat up all.
波利耶走入森林然后採集各种可食用的水果比如木菠萝,香蕉以及其他水果;牠带著这些水果,将他们放置成堆来让剩下的时间可以供养给比库们。五百位比库们无法将这些水果全部吃完。

When the eating was over the Buddha had his bowl and robe brought and left the forest. Pālileyyaka elephant made his way through the monks and stood across right in front of the Buddha again. "Exalted One, what is the matter with the elephant?" the monks asked. "The elephant wants me to turn back and to send you dear sons away," answered the Buddha, who also said to the elephant, "This time I am going positively without turning back. With this body of yours it is not possible for you to attain Jhāna, Insight, the Path and Fruition, Stay behind!" On hearing these words, the elephant, putting his trunk into his mouth and weeping, followed the assembly of monks headed by the Buddha. Indeed, if he were able to make the Buddha return for life would he serve the Master only in the previous manner.
当这些食用都结束了佛陀带著他的钵与僧袍然后离开了森林。波利耶大象又再次穿越过比库们并正好站在佛陀之前。「世尊,这隻大象有什么事吗?」比库们问道。「大象想要我返回并送走你们这些可爱的弟子,」佛陀回答道,同时对大象说,「这次我肯定要走而且不会回来了。以你这样的形体是不可能达到禅定与智慧,道与果的,留在这裡!」听到这些话之后,大象将他的鼻子放入牠的嘴巴裡面哭泣,跟随著佛陀带领的僧团。确实,如果牠能让佛陀回来生活牠会只以先前的方式供养大师。[22]

On reaching the outskirts of the Pālileyyaka village the Buddha addressed his last words to the elephant: "Pālileyyaka, beyond this point is no habitat of yours. A human abode is dangerous. You had better remain here!" The elephant stood lamenting there with his eyes set on the Buddha as far as he could see, when he lost sight of the Buddha he died of a broken-heart at that very place. By virtue of his meritorious state of devotion to the Buddha he was reborn a god with a retinue of a thousand celestials in a golden mansion thirty yojanas wide; he bore the famous name of Pālileyyaka Deva.
在接近波利耶村庄的外围时,佛陀传达了他给大象最后的话语:「波利耶,过了这裡就不是你的栖息地了。人类的居住地是危险的。你最好停在这裡!」大象站立著哀伤哭泣并看著佛陀远去直到身影消失,当牠看不见佛陀的身影时因为伤心的缘故牠就在那个地方死去了。藉著牠献身于供养佛陀的令人敬佩的功德,在一座三十由旬宽的金色宅第,牠重生为一名拥有一千名天界随从的天神;祂就是知名的波利耶天神。

Here ends the story of Pālileyyaka elephant.
波利耶大象的故事到这裡结束了。
====================================

大佛史的作者是缅甸明昆三藏持者西亚多,
1954年到1956年,佛教史上第六次圣典结集的主持者之一。大佛史很像是佛陀的个人传记,不同于佛经的是,这本书是有时间顺序的。

翻译者:梁正衡居士

池上芙蕖净少情
注册用户
注册用户
帖子: 44
注册时间: 2019年 5月 13日 星期一 10:46 am

Re: 大象生为天神和猴子生为天神的故事

帖子 池上芙蕖净少情 » 2019年 7月 26日 星期五 9:56 am